Here is a quick homemade dog treat recipe that you can try. Preparation time & cooking is about 35 minutes and your dog will thank you for it.
- 1 cup cooked, shredded chicken
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley – helps with bad breath a little, but see below.
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat your oven to 175°C / 350°F
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the cooked, shredded chicken, rolled oats, grated Parmesan cheese, and chopped parsley. Stir to combine.
- Add the water to the mixture and stir until well combined.
- On a lightly greased baking sheet, drop spoonfuls of the mixture onto the sheet, forming small balls or shapes. If you have a cookie cutter you can make them into different fun shapes.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the treats are golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Allow the treats to cool completely before serving to your dog.
These treats can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. You can also freeze them for longer storage.
Parsley & Bad Breath
While parsley is a safe and healthy herb for dogs to consume, it is not necessarily effective for treating bad breath. Parsley has a strong, fresh scent that can help mask bad breath temporarily, but it does not address the underlying cause of the bad breath. Bad breath in dogs can be caused by a variety of factors, including dental problems, infection, and certain medical conditions. To treat bad breath effectively, it’s important to address the underlying cause. This may involve providing your dog with regular dental care, such as brushing their teeth and providing them with chew toys or treats to help maintain their oral health. It’s also a good idea to consult with your vet to determine the cause of your dog’s bad breath and to develop a treatment plan. In some cases, your vet may recommend medication or other treatments to help improve your dog’s breath.